Thursday, May 22, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHANE!!!

Back in October I started a series of posts introducing you to my children. When we found out Isaiah needed surgery I stopped those posts. I thought I’d get back to them now.

Shane Robert Gray was born May 22, 1994. Today he turns 14!!!

(Shane with Manthania at Three Angel's)


He was legally dead when he was born and had to be given CPR and have a tube inserted in his lungs in order to get him breathing. He also had a dislocated shoulder!! It was a pretty scary time. Despite his rocky start, he was truly one of the easiest going babies ever. As long as he had a full tummy and a clean diaper he was happy. Shane was (and still is) adored by just about everyone he meets!


(Shane "playing" with the big boys!! Thanks, Jordanian Military!)

It’s hard sometimes for me to believe that he is a teenager, it truly doesn’t feel that long ago that he was toddling around the house with his adorable bowl hair cut (sorry, all my pictures are in storage in the states), praying his sweet dinner prayers that lasted so long we often had to re-heat the food.

Shane has always been the first one in our family to reach out to someone or something in need. That hasn’t changed. Living in Haiti is difficult for him at times… we just CAN NOT help everyone who asks. Shane has grown so much and changed in so many ways since moving to Haiti but he is still the sweet, loving boy I’ve always known (even if he won’t kiss his mom anymore!!!).
(Shane, Mom and Dad in the Dominican Republic)

Shane,
You will always be my “little man”. I am very proud of the young man you are growing into. I can not wait to see what God has in store for you. I love you, son!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Love, Mom

9 comments:

Angela said...

Happy Birthday Shane. Wow, that was one crazy beginning. God must have some very special plans for you. Have a great day.

Abbie said...

Happy Birthday Shane!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Shane. Hope your day is fun. When you come to Redding, we will make you a chocolate cake, or just take you to Dutch Bros. Lynn

Karen Combes said...

Happy Birthday, Shane. This post was very touching! I hope you have a great birthday (and give your mom a kiss;-).

ps Gail, I love your hair cut. Kait is now in Haiti.

Kathy Eden said...

Happy Birthday Shane! I agree with Angela...that was one wild start!

Arron Chapman said...

"It’s hard sometimes for me to believe that he is a teenager, it truly doesn’t feel that long ago that he was toddling around the house with his adorable bowl hair cut"

I can second that.

Carrie Anne Schmeck said...

Shane, You will always be Shaney-waney to me! Love ya dude. Hope to see you soon. CS Mom #2

Carsen said...

I can't believe he's 14 either!

Shane the Pain who drives me insane: Even though you're bigger than me, you'll always be my little brother. Love you!

P.S. Are you not allowed to touch Dad when he's in uniform? You all are standing so straight in that picture.

Abbie said...

I agree with Carsen's "P.S." - I was wondering who was watching you guys since you all look like you are standing at attention.

*Carsen, I hope your surgery goes well and that you have a "chipmunk-free" recovery.