Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Jody and Samuelos. Samuelos is a young man that makes a living shining shoes in Malpass, where Jody works. His parents left him in the village where he now lives and never returned for him. He is 12 years old and the villagers try to take him at different times so he has a place to sleep. He is posing here with Jody with his pant legs rolled up to show off his new shoes. We were told that these shoes are the first ones he has ever had that did not come out of the garbage. When Jody gave them to him, he took the shoes he was wearing (soles from a pair of man's dress shoes, tied to his feet with twine) and threw them in the garbage with tears in his eyes.

9 comments:

CG said...

Wow, Gail. Samuelos is a lovely young man. I can't help but feel wasteful as I think of the several pairs of shoes I own- many of which I don't wear all that often because they're "not comfortable enough." Seeing such poverty really puts me in my place, because somehow, by God's grace I am NOT in that situation. Yet I DESERVE to be that poor and far, far worse... Ouch!

Thank you, Lord, for giving Samuelos some real shoes. I pray that he knows and loves You and understands that all good things come from Your hand.

dreamingBIGdreams said...

wow.
love this!

Kathy Eden said...

Wow!!! I mean...WOW!!!

Brandy and Troy said...

I am at a loss for words.....

You have an amazing husband.

Sarah and Tim said...

Thanks for sharing this story. It just makes my day, to know that this child has a pair of much needed shoes!

Missy said...

Hi Gail,

I hope you read this.....Mckenzie is leaving for Haiti on Tuesday. (my 15 yr old daughter) How are things there now? Could you email me?

enstad6@msn.com

thank u :)

Missy

Carsen said...

I'm glad you shared this. What a cool story!

P.S. You still need to finish the "kid" posts. I believe you're on Dylan.

Anonymous said...

Hello Gray Family!! I have enjoyed keeping up with your blog to read about how you are doing. I have just recently started a blog of my own which is fun. I miss you all terribly. Every time I drive home I wish I would go down the street to visit you. You are in my thoughts and prayers as always. Please tell everyone hello for me and give the babies a kiss from me. I love you!!

Aleah

Kristina said...

Praise God for a giving spirit! And thank you for loving one of God's children! You guys are so awesome!