Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Diamond in the Rough

I usually use this blog to talk about our adoption, the family or the orphanage. But, not today! I want to tell you about my "diamond in the rough", my husband. He will probably be a little unhappy (and a lot embarrassed) that I posted here about him, but that's OK, he will get over it!

Jody is truly one of a kind. On the outside he comes across as this abrasive, rough around the edges hard nosed tough guy. The reality is...he's not! He is one of the kindest sweetest people I know, with a love for God and his family that is real and honest and without waiver!

The reason I think of him as a diamond in the rough is because of the change I've seen in him. The "before Jody" was the abrasive hard nosed tough guy that many people think of him as. But, just like a jeweler who takes what looks like a hard abrasive rock and refines it and turns it into a precious priceless gem, God has taken Jody and refined him and turned him into a precious priceless gem. My diamond! Hard as a rock but with amazing beauty.

I'm always amazed by him. Jody see's things that no human being should ever see. He see's humankind at its absolute worst. People who have allowed Satan to rule over them and all they do. He see's tragedy and sorrow on a daily basis at work. Yet, he remains positive and inspired to be a better person with God's help. He supports his family with love, encouragement and an example of an amazing work ethic. Jody takes his job and the position it gives him in society seriously. He loves his job and knows without a doubt that it is what God called him to do long before he ever acknowledged there was a God!

Most people who knew Jody before he accepted Christ are surprised by him. He is still the same practical joke loving, somewhat crass guy he has always been but different somehow. Jody is who he is! He still finds humor in things most people would find rude or gross. He is a man's man. He loves football, baseball and working out. He likes a cold beer every now and again. He still enjoys hanging out with "the guys". The only difference is now he does it with an understanding that God loves him and will never leave him. It has given him confidence to try things and do things he would never have done before. Things like play the drums again. He thought that part of his life was over. But, God had a different plan. Things like go to Haiti! Jody is so outside his comfort zone there but he keeps going back. And he loves it! He loves the kids and the employee's and doing what he can to help.

Although Jody is not perfect and neither am I, we always say we are perfect for each other. He keeps me grounded and I bring him out of his comfort zone. When I get a little crazed by 7 kids, an orphanage, handling 13 adoptions at once and running our house, he helps me to focus on what has to be done and what really can wait! When I get way to serious about things he makes me laugh! When I get lazy he motivates me.

I am a very blessed woman!!! God has given me the most beautiful gift in the world. He gave me a diamond to love. Which is wonderful but even better then that is the fact that this diamond can love me back...and he does, heart and soul, just the way God intended us to love each other!

4 comments:

Angela said...

That's awesome. What an amazing guy. I'm glad you have a man like that. May God continue to bless you and your marriage!!

Michelle said...

You are so blessed as am I. Jeremy and Jody sound a lot alike, as we have said before. I too feel so blessed to have the husband God created me for. We fit perfectly in more ways than one. ;)

Anyway, I too pray God continues to bless your marriage and family with His love!!!

Kristina said...

Gail,
That is awesome! Sometime I think our husbands get left out in all this blogging. So thanks for sharing. God has truly blessed you!

angela said...

well, i have to say i love the man! he's so great! what a blessing to have found someone so perfect! you might even say God has EVERYTHING planned ahead of time and His ways are higher than ours, eh?

love you!