Monday, June 04, 2007

Hey everyone out there in BLOGland. (Is there really such a place.) OK. Everyone sit down. It's Jody doing the blogging tonight. Now those of you that know me well know that I am what is called a "Computard" (for "Computer Retard.") I hate these things and they don't much like me but here I go with my first ever blog post. So hold on for dear life and please bear with me.

Someone out there tell me what is wrong with me? I have had the same, good paying job with great benefits for 26 years. I can collect a full retirement in less than three years. I live in a beautiful house on a large piece of land in a nice, quiet community in Northern California. I have a pool. I own three cars. There is plenty of room for all of my kids here. The Schools in this City are excellent. My kids love it here. They have friends here. They are involved in activities here. Gail and I have a wonderful Church home. The only drawback to us living here is that I have a 165 mile commute to work, one way. Even there the Lord has blessed me. I have been blessed that my best friend lives in the city I work and has graciously let me stay with him rent free for the past two years. I have a room of my own there in a 3600 square foot house so it's not like I'm inconvenienced when I'm there. Other than being away from Gail and the kids during my 4-day work week things seem to be working out quite well. So what's wrong with me???!!! I am SERIOUSLY considering giving all of this up to move my family to a poor, corrupt and unstable third world country where none of us speak the language!!!! Whats wrong with me??!!! I finally had to admit to myself during my last trip in February of this year that I was starting to feel more at "home" when I was in Haiti then when I am in the U.S. What is wrong with me??!!! Do I not understand all of the logistics involved in moving a family this size to another Country much less to somewhere else in the U.S. Don't I realize my children will need to be "home schooled." What am I trying to do to my children? We will eventually come back to the U.S. to live. Will they be "behind" other kids their ages scholastically? Will they miss out on playing American Football? (Shane), Baseball? (Dylan) Gymnastics? (Kynsley). Whats wrong with me? Giving up a secure job to take one that I am under a contract and I am an "at will" employee and I can be terminated at any time without cause. Whats wrong with me???!! I can "coast" into retirement from here. I pick my shifts, my days off, my vacations. I even get to pick the beat I work because of my Seniority within the department. I pick the busiest beat on the south side of town but IF I wanted to, I could pick the slowest beat in the city and you know what? Nobody would even blink. I've been a cop longer than some of the guys and gals I work with have been alive. I've "done my time" as we like to say. I've earned the right to pick a slow beat. (Just can't do it though.) So, why on earth would I want a job training the National Police of a third world county in SWAT Tactics and other Police related matters when I can't even communicate with them without an interpreter?

So for now we wait. (Has Gail mentioned lately that she hates to wait? on anyone? or for anything?) There is a promotional opportunity for me that I am in the running for that will not be announced until July of 2007. If I get promoted it will be something I've worked very hard for and will be a drastic increase in my salary and retirement benefits. Even if I don't get promoted, our department is looking at signing a new contract, effective in July, that could potentially boost my retirement income by up to 19 % .

So while we wait, some of us impatiently, would someone tell me what is wrong with me and why I am even considering this crazy, way outside of my comfort zone, life changing move?

11 comments:

Kathy Eden said...

Hi Jody! "Welcome" to blog land! There's nothing wrong with you. You're not crazy! You're just trying to do what God wants you to do & a lot of times that doesn't make sense to us...at least not in the beginning anyway. I will continue to pray for you & your family & that God's will be done in your lives.

Michelle said...

Hey Jody!! I know it's hard for us to communicate on a serious level, but I'll try.

As Kathy said you're not crazy. I believe you are being led to do what seems to "the world" as crazy. I'm sure when God told Noah to build an ark he thought, "What's wrong with me?" And when God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, I'm sure he thought, "What's wrong with me?" Or when God asked Moses, who had a problem speaking to be a leader and lead his people out of Egypt, again, "What's wrong with me?" When the Israelites were marching around the walls of Jericho, I'm sure they all though, "What's wrong with me?" The thing is, though none of it seemed to make sense they were all obedient and by faith received great reward.

No matter how much money we make, or what house we live in or even what country we live in, if we are not in the will of the Father, it's all useless. God has a plan for our lives and when we walk in that plan His blessing is on it and what doesn't seem to make sense to "the world" makes perfect sense to us.

I'm praying for you and Gail, Romans 12:2. "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

Love you guys!!

Kristina said...

What's wrong with you?

GOD!

He has a hold of your heart! And when that happens all the "stuff" of this world doesn't seem to matter any more!

I agree with everything Michelle said. We will be praying too!

Oh, yeah, welcome to the world of blogging! I give you an A+
LOL

angela said...

yeah, after that i'm not sure there's much else to say! but whatever bit you surely bit me too!

Jeremy said...

Man, you don't even want my opinion. If you only knew half of what the Lord has had us do... Crazy isn't the word for it... but then again, He's always provided and we've always been blessed. So, it ain't all bad.


"Follow your heart... it's what I do." - N. Dynamite

Angela said...

Praise God for what he is doing!!! I definitely don't wonder what is wrong with you. God's ways are not our ways. His ways are a lot more adventurous. Enjoy the ride!!!

Carsen said...

Love you dad! Praying as you make these decisions. :)

Hope and Rob said...

We don't think your crazy at all either! Nothing is wrong with you... something is just going very very GOD by the sound of things.

Please let Gail know we have been trying to email her. WE haven't heard back so we're not sure if we have the right address. Thanks!

Tanya said...

You're not crazy. Just like everyone else has been telling you, you are feeling the call of God on your life. It isn't always easy leaving a life that you know, even if it is one that you don't always enjoy. But just know that unless you follow God's lead, you will lose all of the peace that you do have. God sometimes asks us to step out in faith without telling us exactly where we are going. We can stand and argue with Him asking Him to tell us His plans before we will step out but He wants to see if we will step our in faith and just do as He asks.
"For I know the plans that I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer. 29:11

Shannon H. said...

The right thing to do is hardly ever the easier thing to do.

I pray for clarity of God's will in your life.

Thanks for sharing. What you guys are willing to surrender is so encouraging and motivating!

Carsen said...

Quotes from today's devotional:

"If you yourself do not cut the lines that tie you to the dock, God will have to use a storm to sever them... Put everything in your life afloat upon God, going out to sea on the great swelling tide of His purpose, and your eyes will be opened... When you know that you should do something and you do it, you immediately know more. Examine where you have become sluggish, where you began losing interest spiritually, and you will find that it goes back to a point where you did not do something you knew you should do... It is much better to fulfill the purpose of God in your life by dicearning His will that it is to perform great acts of self-sacrifice. (Romans 12:1-2; 1 Samuel 15:22) 'If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know...'(John 7:17)."
-Oswald Chambers. Used without permission. ;)