Sunday, March 02, 2008

fun morning in paradise...

Ok, we have to leave for church in less then an hour. But, I had to share a true "Haiti" story!!

So, I got up with the roosters before the sun. Happens every morning, nothing new there. Kids also woke up, again nothing new. We ran out of water yesterday and could not get a water truck until today. So, no baths. Everyone smells... oh well, life goes on.

So, after getting the kids settled I realize I have to go to the bathroom, ok, so again nothing new, don't we all need to first thing in the morning. I have to be sure to shut both my bedroom door and bathroom door or someone will come in. No big deal except I really prefer to pee in private. I take care of business and realize we need to get moving or we may not make it to church on time. I turn the knob on the door to leave the bathroom and nothing happens. I assume the kids are on the other side playing a trick on mom. So, I ask them to let go... no response... so I ask them in a slightly louder, sterner voice to let go... and again no response. Well, by this time I'm not enjoying this game and raise my voice louder, only to hear Dylan come running from the other room, asking me, "Mom, are you calling me?". Yes, you did just hear an audible sigh!! I am locked in the bathroom!

Great, now what.I have Dylan go get me a knife and he slides it under the door. I try and try to pry the door open, with no luck. Ok, plan B... Dylan turns the knob at the same time I do. Again nothing. On to plan C. By this time all the kids are gathered in my room laughing and yelling, "Mom’s stuck in the bathroom", which at this point is sounding pretty good. Away from the noise!! Ok, plan C... go wake up Shane maybe he can help!?!?!?!?

So the kids run downstairs to wake up Shane... poor Shane... waited up until 1:30 a.m. to let Jean Bernard in. Jean Bernard went to the Dominic Republic to perform with his dance team. Anyway, it is only 6:30 or 7 at this point, Shane has only had a few hours of sleep and now 4 of his 8 siblings are all screaming at the same time at him about mom being stuck!He comes upstairs with 1 shoe on ready to slay the dragon for his mom. He figures he will just kick the door in. Typical male response. I remind him, that if we do that we must buy a new door. Reason prevails and we continue to work on the knob. After another 30 minutes or so, kicking the door in is sounding better and better to me. But, I really do not want to spend the money on a new one.

I finally get Shane to go get a small screw driver and bring it around to the window. I have to remove the knob in order to get out. BUT, whoever installed the door did not think clearly. The locking mechanism to release the knob is on the inside of the door. I can't get to it with the door shut!! So, now Shane sends paper clips flying under the door. I am finally able to get the handle part of the knob off in order to reach the screws. Once those are off, the entire thing falls in my hands EXCEPT the locking bolt which has broke off and is wedged in the door!!!! Great, now what?!?!?!? Well, Shane was able to get his fingers into the hole and push the piece out!!!! I was free at last!!!

My poor son, takes one look at me and says, "I'm going back to bed" and walks away.

Ah, the joys of living in Haiti!!!! Anyone want to come visit?????

9 comments:

Carsen said...

What about unscrewing the hinges?
You know as I read this story I thought that this really has nothing to do with Haiti. This stuff happens to us all the time. It keeps things lively (as if they weren't already).
Good story! I can so picture it!

angela said...

thank you so much for this post!! it was hilarious!! sounds like a fun morning. so . . . you didn't make it to church?

:)

oh, and i had no idea he went to the D.R.

Gail said...

Carsen, you are right, it was just another day in the life of the GRay's... living in Haiti or not!!

Angela, we made it to church, I was not letting Satan win. And I didn't know he was going to the DR until the day before he left. Typical male!!

Anonymous said...

To the Gray Family, Yes Carsen is right just a day and time in the Gray's family. By the why GOOD JOB Shane and I hope you got some sleep!!!
Love Nana

Sarah and Tim said...

Great story, I mean for us, but not so great for you:)

megan haug said...

oh goodness!! well, i hope you enjoyed your time in the bathroom!! glad with some work Shane was able to get you out of there! (tell him i said hi!)

Angela said...

thanks for the laugh. :)

Kathy Eden said...

I can totally see that entire sceen playing out in my head. Glad you got out! :o)

Anonymous said...

Totally sounds like a Gail move, getting herself locked in the bathroom and all.