Sunday, June 15, 2008

Messages in My Lunch Box

They were always the same. They always had one of my nicknames, an "I love you," some word of encouragement and a silly drawing: "Michi- Have a great day at school. I love you!" And they were always written on my napkin and neatly folded into my lunch box. I would show them off as if to say "my daddy loves me more!" or "look at how funny my dad is!" And then the awkward feelings of early adolescence made me sneak my note into my pocket and wait until no one was around to read it. Still, they made me smile and let me know I was loved.


The Lord is often called "father". Some people are turned off by this analogy because many were burned, ignored, or hurt by there fathers. I'm so blessed to be one that does not have a negative image about the father role. Of course, he's not perfect, but he's a pretty great dad. He has made me feel loved countless times. I have never once doubted that my father cared for me, even in our lowest moments. Thank you dad for everything!

For those of you with father wounds, the Lord wants to be your father. Only He can fill those holes and heal those hurts. He created all of us in His image, especially fathers. My dad left me notes in my lunch box, but how often does our Heavenly Father give us little "I love you" notes through out the day? I dare you to look for them this week. I bet he sends them more than you think!


Happy Fathers Day!


"Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, 'Abba, Father.'" Galatians 4:6

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carsen Yes you do have a Great Dad I love your writing.
nana

Anne said...

k... not gonna lie this made me cry...
but I am sure you know why.
I love you carsen!

Abbie said...

Nicely put Carsen!

angela said...

praise God for great dads! they are few and far between and we are blessed who have them!!


(they make great grandpas too!)

Anonymous said...

I like the bird one. Jada let me read it. I love john eldredge, I'm reading walking with God right now. You need to read these books like you're eating something very slowly and you want to taste everything in it.