Thursday, April 29, 2010

I lost the fight!

So... on Tuesday I was leaving my house to get the kids from school. Running late like always. As I was putting Isaiah in his car seat I noticed that our "toter" was laying on its backside right behind the Excursion. It was on its side because of the ridiculous amount of wind we were experiencing. Obviously I needed to get it out of the way before I could leave.

For those of you who live in parts of the world that do not have toters and have no idea what I'm talking about....
Here in California we are provided all 3 of these by our garbage company. The culprit of this incident would be the large grey toter.

The wind was blowing like crazy causing my hair to fly in my face making it very difficult to see. In my infinite wisdom I decided to just push the toter out of my way with my foot. As I did the toter got caught in the wind and started blowing in the street. So here I was a grown 41 year old, slightly perturbed, very much running late, woman running down the street chasing a large plastic container which was laying on its backside with the lid open.

When I finally was able to grab the darn thing I reached for the top part of the toter. As I did my right foot stepped on the lid and it became an instant skim board... you know the thing that kids (and adults with better balance than me) ride across the sand when a wave hits the beach... like this...

...only I was on concrete and am not known to have the best balance. I immediately started to fall backwards. Not wanting to land on my backside I leaned forward... a little too far! And ended up going, as my husband likes to say... "a** end over tea kettle"... don't really know what that saying means exactly but you get the idea. I flew over the toter and tried to break my fall by putting my hands down. Unfortunately, I still had my purse on my right shoulder and as I fell it got tangled in my right arm so my left wrist took the brunt of the fall.

I could have easily made up a story of riding a bull, skydiving or rock climbing... but I knew no one would believe it anyway! Because no one was out at the time I have no witnesses to the event. Oh... except Jody. He came home for lunch and was getting ready to go back out on duty. He was however, standing at the back of his patrol car with the trunk open and was trying hard not to get hit in the head when the trunk lid was being blown down. He claims he heard me scream but just assumed I was yelling at Isaiah.

So.. here I am in the middle of our street, laying on my back, withering in pain and my husband is totally oblivious. He did eventually (OK it was only a matter of seconds) shut the trunk and realize I was there. He ran over to me asking "what happened"? When I could not talk, he was able, being the awesome detective he is, to figure out what happened... and then started cracking up! I was able to get off my backside and out of the street. I even got in the car and drove across town to get the kids.

By the time I got home I realized more than just my pride was hurt. Jody ended up coming home to stay with our kids so I could drive myself to the ER. One and half hours and 3 x-rays later I was told I broke the scaphoid bone in my left wrist, which I was told is one of the most common bones to break in a fall but is also one the hardest to heal. It could take up to 4 months!

So this mom of 6 will try to function with a cast on her left wrist for possibly 4 months. Should be interesting.


Oh... and did I mention that I am left-handed!




4 comments:

angela said...

i can only think of one thing to say: only you.

sorry, friend. here's to quick healing!

Kim said...

What a bummer. I too am sorry to hear of your wrist injury. That is why I always "let" Les bring in the trash cans. ;-)

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

Ohmygoodness. I hope you feel better soon!

Kelly

Michelle said...

Is it totally rude of me to have laughed through this entire post, visualizing every moment? Sorry, but it's true.

On the other hand, so sorry...