I am a total people watcher, so it was a great day of observing. I watched these young men and women who are willing to serve our country for our freedom. They will go through rigorous training that most of us can not imagine. The recruits showed a sense of awe, excitement and fear. The hardest part for me was to see so many of them without any friends or family to witness them commit to such a huge undertaking.
I also spent some time watching the recruiters, staff and officers of all 4 branches of our military. Some looked stern and unapproachable. Some looked like they loved there jobs. A few even looked defeated and ready to be done with this aspect of their lives. Most looked proud to wear the uniform.
I was impressed with how the recruits were treated. I guess I expected them to be treated simply as a number, probably as a result of watching to many movies. I have to admit I was wrong. Although they were expected to do exactly what they were told to do, they were also able to ask questions and have things clarified for them. They were treated with respect.
It was a long day but as the Army recruits (or shippers as they were referred to, because they were "shipping out") entered the swearing in room I truly felt a sense of pride to be a part of something so big. Something so many Americans take for granted. The officer in charge of the ceremony addressed the group and spoke about these young men and women being in a rare group that makes up only 2% of society. That the oath they were about to take was a huge commitment and not to be taking lightly.
As he called the recruits to attention and asked them to raise their right hand and repeat after him, the group observing fell completely silent. The only sound in the room was the sound of these young men and women taking the oath. Although it only lasted a few minutes it was an awesome experience to watch.
The rest of the day I reflected on the times I have taken my freedom lightly. On the few people I personally know who risk their lives for that freedom. And the fact that I now realize how blessed I am to live in a place that allows me to observe any religion I choose, to speak my mind without being persecuted and to come and go as I please. I may not always be proud of the things the American people/government do, but I will always be proud to be an American.
Even if we do not agree with the things our government is is doing or has done, we still need to appreciate the men and women who serve. If you see someone in uniform today, wont you take a moment to thank them. Tell them how much you appreciate what they do for us.
And pray for them.
Thank you John (and Darryl, Kent, Chris, Rob, Dan, Rommel, Taylor, Uncle Dave, John L., Dan S., Brian, just to name a few) for being willing to fight (and who have fought) for my freedom. And thank you to all the soldiers that put there life on the line for us! I am truly thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment