I love each of my kids equally. Not the same because they are all unique but I don't love one more than the other. However, there are times when one gets to be in the "spot light". Its not playing favorites at all. It's about given them something extra because of the time it is in their lives.
When Carsen was young she loved to act. My favorite memories with her was being back stage helping with stage make-up for the shows she was in. The rest of the kids took a backseat while she took center stage. It didn't mean I loved her more, just meant I needed to give her something more at that time. She may have not needed me to, but I needed to!
Right now, its Shane's time. We schedule our entire family activities around Shane's schedule. He doesn't have as many chores to do. Dad gets up and makes him breakfast most mornings. He needs the added time to do his homework, added fuel for his body and more sleep. It's just the way it is during football season. He LOVES playing football and we love watching him. Football has become a way of life for us. The other kids don't always get it but they will.
I never thought I'd spend so much time (really to be honest never thought I'd spend ANY time) reading scouting reports my son brings home, talking about play calling, offensive plays and rankings. I've learned the difference between a full back and a wide receiver. I know how to spot a passing play before it happens. I count the bruises on my sons body without cringing (too much :) I love wearing his lettermens jacket to the games. I love being a football mom!
Tonight Shane may play in his very last organized football game. I hope it's not his last. I hope the team goes all the way to State. But, if they don't win tonight its over. major college ball isn't in the cards for Shane unless God blesses him with 3 or 4 more inches and 30-45 more pounds on his body. Shane knows that. He has accepted it, probably better than his dad or I.
Shane, no matter what happens tonight, I am so proud of you. I'm proud of the commitment you have made and stuck to, even when it would have been easier to quit. The things you have learned about commitment, teamwork and a strong work ethic while playing a "game" will be with you for the rest of your life. I love you!
Now, go kick some Tiger butt!!!


5 comments:
Beautiful and thanks for making me cry.
Ditto to what Jen said! Shane, you're an incredible guy, with or without football!!
Did he win?
Ronda...they did!! Round 2 of the play-offs is this Friday.
Post a Comment