Childhood memories of waking up to that special present that came from Santa are dear to me. And so are the memories Jody and I are making staying up really late putting together toys such as bikes we should have paid to be assembled at the store.
When I was a kid there was never a need to make a choice between believing in Santa and believing in Christ. We knew that Christmas was about God sending His son to earth to be our Savior. We also knew that Santa choose that night to give gifts as a reminder of Christs love.
Believing in Santa does not take away my children's understanding of the true meaning of Christmas. Believing in Santa allows them to retain some of the wonderment of being a child. I'm not willing to rob them of that joy. There aren't many things left in the world that allow them to just be kids.I've been told by many that is not fair to build up a fantasy that just isn't true. If that's the case, I guess I need to tell them that pixies don't fly, fish don't talk, mermaids don't exist and a spoonful of sugar doesn't help anything go down.
Childhood is all about fantasies and make believe. If you make the choice to not allow Santa in your house, that is your choice, however, I believe it is unfair to ruin the wonderment for my children by instructing your children (or worse for you) to tell them Santa doesn't exist!
Thank you from a Santa believing, Christ following Mom!!!

1 comment:
Good for you. My parents went ALL out with Santa for us growing up. And I loved it and I was not scarred when I found out Santa was not real. It is a bit strange and shocking even for myself that we never brought the idea of Santa into our house for our kids. The first time Connor asked me if Santa was real and who Santa was, I just couldn't do it. I could not look him in the face and lie. And then turn around and teach him that lying is not ok. A parent in Carly's school called me aside during Christmas to let me know that Carly told her daughter that Santa was dead. Our kids know all about St. Nick and where the idea of Santa began. They know St. Nick was just a man who is now dead which is why Carly said that. We still try to create the "magic" of gift giving by hiding the big gift and saving it for last. I do not instruct my children to declare the truth about Santa. And we have talked about being sensitive to others. But they just say what they believe to be true, and I am not going to tell them otherwise. It is funny how the Santa topic gets everyone all fired up though!
Post a Comment