That. Did. Not. Happen.
One of my children who I often have to wake up on school mornings was already awake not only making noise but also making a mess. I used this as another opportunity to remind myself,
"My children are a blessing from God!
My children are a blessing from God!
My children are a
blessing from God!"
And then thought,
"why can I not get a moment of silence around here?!?"
Instead of losing my mind I asked myself the question, "What exactly is silence?" dictionary.com defines it as 1) absence of any sound or noise; stillness. In our world is it possible to truly have an absence of any sound or noise? Does this include the noise in our heads? I don't think it is possible.
However, I do believe its possible to experience "stillness", a stillness that isn't defined as a lack of movement but a stillness of our hearts and souls. A stillness that comes from resting in Jesus.
Psalm 46:10, "He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;"
How is it possible to be still with so much going on around us? I love the way the Message Bible puts this scripture,
"Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God!"
Isn't it time we step out of the traffic? Isn't it time to be still?
In what ways do you experience stillness in the midst of the traffic? Is there a silence for you even among the din of life?
If not, what can you do this week to "step out of the traffic"?
Silence may be golden but stillness should be cherished.
Lord Jesus,
Silence may not be possible in this house.
But I pray for the stillness
that only comes from You
to be discovered by all in our home.
Amen!
p.s.
God,
I'd be OK if You
wanted to send
a little silence too!!!

1 comment:
Great thoughts! Thanks for this post!
Post a Comment