Friday, January 19, 2007

My kids surprise me sometimes!!

Today Dylan who just turned 8 brought home a poem he wrote before Christmas break. As I began to read it, I laughed (he writes about making snowballs, it rarely snows where we live) and the smell of gingerbread baking (I've never once baked gingerbread ). But, as I read I realized what an amazing son I have!! I thought you would enjoy reading it so here it is...

Winter by Dylan Gray

I know it is winter when I see snow falling on the ground, hear bells ringing from the top of towers and smell ginger bread houses baking. In winter I like to make snowmen, make snow balls and play my play station with my friends. After we play together we often eat marshmellows between crackers and drink hot chocolate with marshmellows. The thing I enjoy most about winter is celebrating Jesuses birth and playing with my family.

My amazing 8 year old son surprises me often with his insight into Jesus. I never realized how much he understood about the meaning of Christmas. But, obviously he does. Jesus and playing with his family! Really...what more do we need??

3 comments:

Todd said...

Dylan ROCKS.....wow how blessed you are...but I didn't expect anything less than AMAZING frpm a Gray child. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

That is funny that in the winter he likes to make snow balls and see the snow falling, although you don't live where it snows.

However, very cool that he realizes the important things. Kids are awesome!! I think many times they know more than we think.

Gail said...

todd~ when I first read your comment my first thought was "there is nothing amazing about a GRAY child, we are just ordinary people, raising ordinary kids". I've always reserved the word "amazing" for people like the Fairfields.

But, then I started thinking about how amazing my kids really are, I mean I always knew it but it wasn't something I bragged about or anything. Dylan was born to a drug addicted birth mother. He had days of withdrawals and no one knew for sure if he would live through it!! We were told that he would most likely be delayed and have learning issues. That is not the case at all. He is remarkable. He is only in the 2nd grade but reads at a 6th grade level. When he accepted Christ a few months ago, Satan started attacking him right away. We were seeing anger issues and he withdrew from friends and family. BUT, Dylan was able to see what was happening and asked for prayer...at 8 years old he learned a valuable tool that took me years to learn! Dylan is amazing, not because he is a Gray child, but because he is GOD'S child!

Thanks for the words of affirmation. It does feel good to know that other peope see the beauty God created in the children He has placed in my care. They truly are amazing!!