Thursday, April 10, 2008

Jimmy was able to get out today. Things have calmed down somewhat. The Caribbean market was not looted that he could see but remains closed. The only market that was open was a very small one up Route de Frere. They were already out of bread and ice. Several businesses and homes along Delmas Ave showed signs of vandalism. A few businesses were open but not many!

Things are still crazy downtown and in the Canape Vert area as well as in Petionville. Delmas and Route de Frere seem to be calm. If you haven’t already read it go to the Livesay’s blog http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/ Tara posted a short note from a friend that lives in Port au Prince. It really sums up the situation so well.

I talked to Jody a little while ago. He is fine and heading out to the DR border where his duty station is. There was little traffic and all seemed calm. I also spoke to a friend who is with the US Navy stationed here and he said things are still “hot” but overall calmer then yesterday.

Life in the Gray house is proceeding as normal. We were not able to do school today… but nothing to do with the riots. I woke up with a horrible sore throat and can barely talk AND our Nanny caught chicken pox from Isaiah and was unable to come in today. She is running a high fever and all around miserable. It’s a little hard to teach school with a 1 year old, 3 year old and 4 year old under foot AND not being able to talk above a whisper. I’m sure Dylan, Kynsley and Shane didn’t mind!

Jody took the camera with him today. If I can get it to work I’ll post any pictures he may have been able to get. I'll post more later if there are any updates!

7 comments:

Arron Chapman said...

I hope everything calms down, and as always if you need any help with those pictures just let me know. achapman@unkwndesign.com

Angela said...

Thanks for the update Gail.

Sarah and Tim said...

thank you gail for the updates! Glad that you all are still safe. Praying for safety and for all this to end soon, on a peaceful note! Also praying that you and your nanny are feeling better soon!

angela said...

thanks for keeping us posted. we continue to pray. we'll throw in that sore throat!

livingpurereligion said...

Praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Family I am so happy you are still ssfe there, I am praying for all of you. Keep me in touch Lovw and kisses to all of you Mom & nana

MK said...

thanks for the update gail!

praying for all of you.