"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." NIV
This truly is my favorite scripture. God revealed it to me right after my father passed away. It has helped me through some of the toughest times in my life, times when I wasn't even sure if I was going to get through another day. I like the way The Message Bible phrases it:
"Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life."
So often I turn to God during the toughest times in my life, yet so often forget to look towards Him to help me get through the everyday struggles, the strife and discontentment I bring on myself. It's easy to turn to God when you have hit rock bottom, where else can you turn? But ,what about those times when things just aren't turning out the way you think they should, or when you have done something so stupid you know you deserve to be right where you are at, times when your problems seem so minor compared to cancer, world peace, malnutrition etc. Is it as easy to turn to God then?? It should be but I know for me it's not. Instead, I worry, I fret, I allow the worry to become the center of my life. If God can handle our biggest problems, can't He also handle the little ones, the ones we have made for ourselves??
So, today instead of worrying where the parts are to the crib, instead of worrying where the money is coming from to go to Haiti to get Isaiah, instead of worrying about the lack of clothes we have for him, instead of worrying about how his presence is going to effect the other kids, instead of worrying about all the little things that have been eating away at me for the past week, I'm going to allow God to shape my worries into prayers, letting Him know my concerns and then take a deep breath and relax.
God is in control, not me. Holding my breath, getting tense, freaking out does not help God be in control, not one little bit. It probably just makes Him shake His head and think, she has so much to learn!!
So, if you see me today or talk to me...can you remind me to do just that, take a deep breath and relax. And I'll try to do the same for you!
8 comments:
I know what you mean, Gail. I am the same way. I am always worrying and thinking about something. Most times it doesn't occur to me to cast my cares upon the Lord and let Him sort things out. :) Just remember Peter 5:7
"Casting the whole of your care (all of your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all) on Him for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully."
We need to pray about everything and worry about nothing. We need the Lord. When we worry, it shows that we think we can solve our own problems. We are not built to handle problems. We are created by God to be dependent upon Him, to bring our challenges in life, and to allow Him to help us with them. The devil will keep trying to offer your problems back to you but you don't have to accept them. Cast your cares upon Jesus and leave them at His feet.
Hey Gail- Could you email me your address? I have something to send you for Isaiah, but am not sure where to send it:) Thanks, Cara
ckboone@hotmail.com
I sent something to you last week. When I check the status, it says it should be arriving before the 30th. Hope you get it soon!! :)
Love ya sister!!
So true. Thanks for the reminder.
Worry comes from fear and we all know fear is not of God.
"Don't be afraid, only believe."
Gail, Thanks for the reminder. God is big enough for all of it, even the small things!
I feel like lately I have been fighting with God trying to hold onto all those little things...thanks for reminding me to turn to him always and submit my worries and fears.
Michelle, love the quote.
"Don't be afraid, only believe"
Now, take a deep breath and relax!
Ditto to what everyone else said. I need to do the same.
This is the Bible verse that I repeat to myself in times of worry or in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. "...the peace which transcends all understanding will guard your heart and mind" gives me such a feeling of God's love for us.
It was great "rooming" with you and Zi in Haiti! I'm believing all the details of the medical visa have worked out and Zi will be in California soon!
Karen
Great post, Gail. I agree with you that it's so easy to turn to Him when things are just horrible, but we tend to hang on to our own problems when they're more "ordinary." I struggle with this, too. Thanks for being so honest and for reminding us that He's there for us EVERY day.
Post a Comment