We had an interesting week. Well... not really but it sounded good. Mostly, the same ol' stuff. But, the weekend was nice...
On Friday Jody got to go on a helicopter ride in a 20 year old Russian military helicopter, flown by a 4 man Ukrainian helicopter crew. Along for the ride was a US Army Lt. Colonel, 2 Brazilian military officers and one of Jody’s partners from El Salvador. It was a joint effort to locate possible smuggling routes between Haiti and the Dominican Republic. It was a chance for them to see the border in places they can not access yet by car. They stopped for lunch at a Nepalese Military camp and were treated like kings. He got some great pictures (which are for now stuck in the camera, because when we moved we misplaced the cord to download to the computer).
On Saturday evening we went to a going away party for a few people leaving the mission. The party was at the PAE house (the staff for Jody's contractor, PAE, live and work there, the house is also open to families to use the pool, play games, use the international phone etc). The party was small (horrible rain storm kept most people away) but it was nice to get to know a few of the other officers and their families who are visiting for the summer. I volunteered to make Tuxedo Brownies for the party so I spent the day baking with help from the whole family. After the party, Jody and I went dancing for a little while. Unfortunately, on the way out, the heel of my high-heels got caught in a gap between the cobblestones and the top landing of the stairs and I most ungracefully fell on my “keester”. In the process of my tumbling, I twisted my ankle severely. However, the most important thing is I did not break my favorite shoes!!! Hurts pretty bad but I have not seen a doctor yet.
On Sunday I went to church with Shane, Dylan and Kynsley. It was a great service and God really revealed Himself to me. I am currently praying about some serious stuff and will share it once I have Godly confirmation to do so. We were planning on taking the kids swimming in the afternoon but the rains started up again and we were unable to go. So… we napped instead. There is nothing like a good Sunday afternoon nap when it’s raining. We made homemade pizza for dinner, read a few books to the kids and then watched pre-season football. It was a nice ending to a busy week-end.
Today, Shane went to Quisqueya Christian School to do pre-testing for the 9th grade. Landon will do his tomorrow. Unfortunately, we are not able to afford for Dylan and Kynsley to go so they will be home schooling, unless we are able to get some financial aide or I get hired by the UN (I applied for a position awhile ago and have not heard anything yet). I read the book of Ecclesiastes today twice, once in NIV and once in the Message. A fellow blogger put out a challenge to read it, so I did. I’m still processing what I read.
That about sums up the last few days. Not very interesting, but it’s our life!
6 comments:
thanks for keeping us in the loop! keep reading! love you!
Totally see the visual of the "fall" in my head & can totally relate to it because I am "graceful" like that myself :o)
I continue to pray for God's will & guidance in your life.
Thanks for the update I look everyday for the updates I love reading about what is going on in the famailies life.
Lova to all
Nana
Can't wait to be a part of days like this. See you next week!
Your family is as busy in Haiti as ours is in Redding! So different yet the same. I enjoy hearing how you are all doing. Hope the ankle is better soon! Glad that Carsen is able to come for a visit!
I lost count a long time ago at how often I have slipped and fallen and twisted my ankle. And believe it or not I have yet to do it in Haiti!
And I too love Sunday afternoon naps and if it's raining....ahhhhh sweet!
Thanks for letting us have a peek into your life in Haiti!
Post a Comment