Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Huricane Gustav

*****UPDATE #1 BELOW*******

*****UPDATE #2 BELOW****** (3:36 p.m.)


Hurricane Gustav is expected to hit Haiti sometime today. School was cancelled. Jody hasn't heard yet if he is going to work or not.


We do feel safe where we are. The eye of storm is expected to hit southwest of Port au Prince. We live about 10 miles southeast of downtown Port, in Peguyville, near Petionville. It rained off and on all night. The rain is getting heavy as I type. No wind yet but I'm sure we will feel it soon. We are running to the market now to get more food. If we have internet I'll post more later.

We made it to the market, it was not crowded at all. There weren't a lot of people on the streets though.

The winds have started. It blows continually with huge gusts that bend the trees in half. I wish I had my USB cord so I could post pictures. There was actually fog in Haiti today. Very unusual!! It is warmer today in San Francisco then it is here!!

The kids have prepared for the onslaught... they built a fort in the middle of the living room. Blankets, pillows, sheets, a bookshelf, even a mop!!! They are prepared.

We discovered that The Weather Channel (TWC) is only concerned with how this storm will affect Labor Day plans for the US, not when or where it will hit here in Haiti. Very sad!! We are relying on The National Hurricane Center for our updates... or looking out the window whichever is easier. I'm surprised we still have internet access, I'm sure we will lose it soon. I'll post updates as long as I can.

So far lots of rain and some wind. The storm hit just outside Jacmel. We are expected to get more rain over night. We haven't left the house so I have no idea how bad it is in the streets. I just heard from a friend that works by the Embassy and there was some serious flooding there. We have other friends that work closer to downtown PAP, I'll try to get info from them as soon as possible. We are praying for the people of Jacmel and the surrounding area.

4 comments:

Sarah and Tim said...

praying for you all and for the O and for the country and people of Haiti!

Karen Combes said...

Thanks for the update, Gail! I'll keep you in my prayers as you hunker down in the fort. ;-) Keep us updated as you can!

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Better get inside that tent with the kids. Mom and Dad need to be safe, too! ;-)

We are praying for all of you!

Kathy Eden said...

Thanks for the updates Gail! Praying!!!